By Kathryn Yateman
Saturday, 19 September 2015
Our skin is the largest organ on our body And that skin under our armpits covers glands and lymph glands. According to the National Cancer Society,”Reports have suggested that these products contain harmful substances, which can be absorbed through the skin or enter the body through nicks caused by shaving. Some scientists have also proposed that certain ingredients in underarm antiperspirants or deodorants may be related to breast cancer because they are applied frequently to an area next to the breast”.
Here are 5 of the top Toxic chemicals that may be in your deodorant. Im sure there’s more. Especially in the clinical strength brands and the 24 hr. types.
1. ALUMINUM COMPOUNDS Aluminum compounds are added to deodorant to block the pores from sweating. Aluminum is a metal!! And like other heavy metals. it may interfere with the ability of estrogen receptors correctly process the hormone and are linked to breast cancer in women, prostae cancer in men, and increased risk of Alzheimer’s.
2. PARABENS Parabens are preservatives used in some deodorants and antiperspirants that have been shown to mimic the activity of estrogen in the body’s cells. This chemical disrupts hormonal balances and can lead to early puberty in children and hormone-related cancers in women and organ toxicity.
3. PROPYLENE GLYCOL When this chemical is paired with other chemical additives, it can be extremely dangerous. this ingredient causes damage to the central nervous system, lover and heart. Even small concentrations (2%or less), propylene glycol provokes skin irritation in those with sensitive skin. Some manufacturers have made
deodorants with up to 50%.. And sorry to say some so called Natural deodorants have this chemical in them. Know your brands and read the label.
4. TRICLOSAN This is classified as a pesticide according to the FDA. Although the FDA uses are not regulated under pesticide law, EPS considered these exposures in the aggregate risk assessment test. In deodorants, triclosan is used as an antibacterial agent and preservative, and reacts with tap water to create chloroform gas, a potential carcinogen. ARE YOU A LITTLE NERVOUS NOW? This chemical can also possess endocrine disrupting properties that has shown up in breast milk and blood.
5. STEARETHS Usually listed with a number (like steareth-15), these additives come from a cheap process that makes harsh ingredients more mild. The process(known as ethoxylation) produces carcinogenic 1,4-dioxanes during manufacturing.
So after reading a few of these would’nt you rather use something that will not harm your body? I didn’t plan on making this a 2 part blog, but I also truly did not realize how many truly dangerous toxic chemicals are in products we use everyday. It scares me enough that I went and pulled out the compressed deodorant in my stick, grabbed my beeswax beads and will be making one to try after I get this posted. So this is the scary part. Part 2 is the keep-your-armpits -happy part!